Wednesday, May 04, 2005

journey into history - thiruvarangan ula

Hey ..

It has been quite some time since I have posted anything up here. As said earlier, I was enjoying authentic sweet, karam and coffee back home. Now Iam back - back to work, back to crazy eating schedules, back to talking English with a fake accent, back to reading news on the Internet, back to rash driving and bluetooth chatting, back to blogging...

For the past few years I have been interested in knowing the history of Lord Ranganatha of the temple at Srirangam. My dad hails from there and I have visited the place quite a number of times. In the late 90s during one of our otherwise boring 'pilgrimage' kind of trips, my mom mentioned something about the Idol being kidnapped a few hundred years earlier. Ever since I have been trying to know more about this fantastic & mysterious piece in history. Early 2000, I obtained a very old copy of South India and Mohammedan Invaders from Connemara with the help of a very very old & knowledged librarian. After almost 3 years, I got my hands on Thiruvarangan Ula - by Sree Venugopalan(more popularly known as Pushpa Thangadhurai) which is all about the great saga.

In the fourteenth century, the Sultans from the North turned their eyes to the South, eyeing particularly the Hindu temples to plunder their abundant wealth. The Tamil kings were running puppet & weak regimes and Hoysala & Pandya kingdoms were just symbolic and mutely submitted to the Khiljis & Tughlaks. Lord Ranganatha from Srirangam was forcefully taken away to Delhi and kept for about a year, when some of the devadasis helped a rich devotee regain the idol and bring it back to Srirangam. About 40 years later, Mohammed-Bin-Tughlak and his strong army surrounded the gates of Srirangam to take the Idol away.... and that was when the Lord started his grand tour.

For the next 50 years, the Lord was kept hidden from the Moslem kings. The North Indian Moslem kings and later the Bahmini Sultans continued their desparate search for the Idol. For the people of South, Lord Ranaganatha was more than Idol of a God - he was the symbol of their hope, their freedom. And those souls who had entrusted themselves with the sacred job of saving their God, it was a holy suicidal task.

Lord Ranganatha travelled from Srirangam through the following route - Azhagar Koil, Madurai, Ettayapuram, Azhvar Thirunagari, Nagercoil, Trivandrum, Kollam, Kozhikode, Sathyamangalam - where he was lost for 20 years.. and after recovery, he travelled to Tirupati where he was retained for 10 years and finally back to Srirangam. The first kings of the Vijayanagara Empire defeated the Bahmini Sultans and brought Lord Ranganatha back to Srirangam from Tirupati and reinstated the Lord with grand celebrations.

I have been following up the route that the Lord was taken along visiting the various places where he was hidden away. This time during my vacation I toured around the small villages around Srirangam through which the pilgrims carried the Lord to escape from the powerful armies of Tughlak. I visited the temples of Srirangam, Gunaseelam, Thirupparaithurai, Thiruvanaikkaval where the Lord is said to have rested briefly.. I had earlier visited Nagercoil, Trivandrum, Kozhikode and Sathyamangalam.

This history of 50 years during the fourteenth century is simply amazing & interesting. The next time any of you visit Tirupati, be sure to look up at the Sri Ranganatha Mandapam constructed by Yadavaraya. It will be at your left on the main hall after you enter the temple alongwith the queue. That was were the Srirangam Lord was worshipped alongwith the Tirupati Balaji for a decade. Funny enough the pujas for Lord Ranganatha were done in Tamil after a huge struggle, while Tirupati Balaji had his prayers rendered in Telugu.

Chao..

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back in action.

Anonymous said...

is it possible to get the book in the US?

Shiva said...

Hi Anonymous!
Looks like you are interested. I got this book from the author himself. It is available in Chennai Higgingbothams. Iam not sure if it is available in the US, though...

Anonymous said...

I am a inmate of Srirangam. I have read the story "Tiruvarangan Ulla" for more than 24 times.

There is a virtual club formed for this reading and i am very proud that I am able to live in the period to be in the temple for this janma.

Anonymous said...

Actually i read both the first part and the second part "Madura Vijayam", i suppose in 2001.

I have never come across such interesting writings. I should lay my hands on "Ponniyin Selvan". Heard is a fabulous master piece. You can suggest me more tamil works, that would satisfy my creative palate.

Thanks

Balasubramanian said...

Can anyone of you give me the name of the publisher of Thirivarangan ula? I like to buy a copy of the same.

Second hand book is also welcome. Interested persons may please contact me at balasubrap@hotmail.com
bala 24-8-2008

Shiva said...

Bala - you can get copy of this book in Higgingbothams store. This book is back in print again after being out of print for more than 7 years.

Unknown said...

Hi,
Does anyone have the PDF of mathura vijayam ????

If you come across any link please post it in this blog...

Regatds,
Raji

Anonymous said...

beautiful story

Mugundhan said...

I read this book some 3 weeks ago, I bought the book in Giri traders, Mylapore, Namperumal's travel is amazing. How many adiyars scarificed for Him, very heart rending
I read this book after I visited Srirangam, so next time I visit Srirangam, I need to see the tribute written by Vedanta Desikan to Bopanna, I would like to visit Sathyamangalam etc
So much for the secularism concept, I think people invented that word to denigrate Hindu faith while not condemning atrocities of other religions... Even now, our history books do not talk in detail about the negative effect on Hindu traditions by invaders, I guess they are afraid of offending muslims. Unless we face the past in a courageous manner, we will have this hypocracy

Anonymous said...

Soul touching story in novel. How the Thikshithars struggled with the Muslim invasion and how they travelled with Lord Renganatha staue bring tears in your eyes. Even though I read it more than 25 years ago, I still remember the story.

Abha said...

Today for the first time in my life I came across the name of the Lord and since the last few hours I feel compelled to know all that I can. The deities are too divine to be understood by the limited human consciousness.

ram said...

makkale elarum tamil-layuum konjam comment adicha nalla irukum...

Hi Raji, PDF-la padikka try panavendam... adhula online edition-nu original version la irundhu sila originalty cut panirpanga... so try to Buying in Srilakshmi Padhipagam, Book only...

ram said...

hi Raji, Pdf-la padicha originality irukadhu... so book vangi padinga... Srivenugopalan sir-oda Srilakshimi padhipagam la full versions varum... other press book rare...

ram said...

hi abha. how r u? thiruvarangan Ulaa padikum bodhu namakkum Arangan Pallakai thooki sellum Bhakiyam kidaikadha manakurai thondrum... Kadhaiyin mudhal athyayathilirundhe nam srirangathil Vasitha unarvu thondriyadhu...

ram said...

Hi abha, Nalama? Nan mudhanmuraiyaga Maduraiyilirundhu chennai sellum bodhu idaiyil Trichy Kaveriyai kadakum bodhu Aranga Parivaram kadandha Nadhiyai manadhara vendinen... Sendra Aandu Srirangam sellum vaaipu kidaithadhu... Kovil sendru Panjukondaan sannadhiyai thedi alaindhu aluthuvitten... Angu irukum Dhikshidhar kuda ariayavillai, apdi oru Naamakaranam kondavarai... panjukondaanai paaramal Arnaganai parkamal thirumbi vandhuvitten

ram said...

Raji nan Madhura vijayam Bookaga vanga muyalgiren... Makkale Thiruvarangan Ula, Madhura vijayam kidaikumidam sollavum

ram said...

Hi Bala, how r u? Srivenugopalan Avargalin Srilakshmi Padhipagatharidame Vangalam... So muyalga....

ram said...

Makkale, Thiruvarangan Ulaavil Ungal Ninaivai vittu agaladha Maandharai patri vivarikaum... Viruppam ullavargal Vilakkamum tharalam

ram said...

Thambi Thisiz-meeee, tamil-la type panuna nanum edhavadhu pesuven

ram said...

thambi Anonymous-su nee UncleSam ta irundhu vandhurkya? tamil theryuma?

Anonymous said...

The book which is mentioned in this post is available at
https://ia600400.us.archive.org/28/items/southindiahermuh00krisuoft/southindiahermuh00krisuoft.pdf

Babu said...

This story was first published way back in 1970s in weekly magazine "Dinamani Kathir" (Now this is a free supplement book on Sunday Dinamani News paper). My mother used to read this story every week in 1970s. It is her dream to read this book again(My dream also). I will buy this book and present to her. It will be a pleasure to read this book.