Saturday, December 03, 2005

aa ab laut chalen ?

Hey..

Let me state upfront. This is not some quarter-life or mid-life crisis situation. This is neither a "rude awakening" nor a "Eureka" scenario. And it is definitely not a gyan that is obtained from sitting under the bodhi tree. It is a as-usual rambling from Siva after a small break.

Many of us have migrated from the east, travelling far and wide into the west, moving to UK, Europe and the North America - even Australia and Singapore for greener pastures. We have claimed that we are moving towards more oppurtunities, better lifestyles, fasttrack careers, challenging work, growth & needless to say more money. Our predecessors and our generation have used one or more of the above reaons in different combinations packing them into justifying euphimisms convincing others and actually themselves for leaving home behind.

But look at the situation now. East is where all the action is. India is the most happening place. With the IT and BPO domination, India is now undergoing a rapid transformation from the "land of snake charmers" to that of a "land of intelligent workers". Several countries are fighting for associating themselves with India. Of course, there may be miles to go before one can compare west and India in various parameters - however this is the time when the foundation is being laid and everything is happening..

Look at the advent of MNCs into India. IT, Electronics, Auto, Banking are already firmly committed. As a result of this growth, the lifestyles of urban towns have fully transformed. The real estates are booming. People afford to buy & use hi-tech gadgets more commonly. It is hard to spot a middle-class home without cellphones, motorcycles, small cars - when only 15 years back it was reason enough to celebrate the purchase of a color TV. Audi sells over 100 cars in India and Porsche wants to capture a segment of Indian market !! The nation is flying high.

The chinese always said "May you live in interesting times!". My question is, are we missing out all this action and fun by being away from home during these 'interesting' times ? Are we missing the oppurtunity of participating and contributing to this transformation in our quest for self growth ? Are we not cheating ourselves by not letting all our energy put to constructive use during this wonderful renaissance happening at home ? Isnt this the dream that we have been wanting to come true for long ? Didnt we come to these developed nations chasing this dream ? Shouldnt we be back home now, partaking in this adventure.. Atleast if not to provide our services, shouldnt we atleast enjoy this metamorphosis ?

Is it time for prodigal sons to return home ?

I dont know. I tried to answer these questions. Of course a hundred thousand justifications on what I am doing and why I am where Iam hit my mind instantaenously, but I ve come to realize that there are always justifications to all questions.

And then there will be answers.

Ciao..

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our batch is cursed. We missed the Boom in the US and now we are missing the Boom in India.

Rags said...

I agree with the anonymous comment..Yes we missed out before..and we are missing out now... But should we all return back? the answer is yes..may be not today..but someday...

Sunday Thoughts said...

Good One Siva,
then seekaramm India Poiduvom...i am planning in June-July 2006..any one joining with me...

eyeStreet times said...

is that not the million dollar question ??

Anonymous said...

Siva,

A poser for you.

Have you ever considered the fact that, it is because of the fact that we are here that our beloved homeland is flourishing? Sometimes, absence of some things defines success! :-)

Ganesh said...

amen to eshwar !!

Anonymous said...

I am agree with both anonymous and Raman's comments. Becoz we are here, our homeland is flourishing. But at the same time we need to look back our home what best we can give it to them by being there.
This may not suit for all :)

eyeStreet times said...

Anonymous 1 and Anonymous 2 pls identify yourselves.

Anonymous said...

I agree 200 percent on "I ve come to realize that there are always justifications to all questions.". This doesn't apply just to working/ studying abroad against India. This applies to many choices we all make. We tend to justify them and we always succeed.

One easy justification would be "to earn/learn better now so that I can contribute to my country's/my/my society's/humanity's cause in the future. I'll figure out what to do and how to do it once I get there". Many (including myself) have/have had this notion. As a parallel to line of thought, I came across Po Pronson's "What should I do with my life?" recently - http://www.fastcompany.com/online/66/mylife.html . A good read.

- Anand

Anonymous said...

Guys,

I am not worried about luxury life living in India. We need a basic things like water, electricity and good roads. This infrastructure should be considered. When can I get this basic things? guys,

Anonymous said...

Nalla ezutharey mamu!!

Shiva said...

Anonymous1 - we can change this. we dont have to necessarily miss..

rags - maybe, someday - we are vague to the core :) true IT guys, arent we ;)

tharani - cool man. Congrats..

eshwar/ganesh - million dollar question, yeah.. but the answer is still with us.

Shiva said...

raman, Anonymous2 - yeah,maybe our home is better of without us.

anand - interesting..

dinesh - it just sounds like we want the rest of the folks to give us everything in a golden platter and will take less risk as much !

Anonymous3 - You sound like India is a rotten old land with no basic facilities. Maybe it is time you pay a visit to India and take a look.

Anonymous4 - thanks maamu.

Anonymous said...

anonymous (that needs "basic" infrastructure) - you are talking about water,electricity and roads...

1. water - not an issue...if u middle class, you can easily get over this problem.

2. electricity - I live in a house with generator and I have 24 hours power supply all days. Hold on, solar systems are catching up big time and the quality is good (again 24 hours power supply for heating systems).

3. Roads - depends on where you live...Bangalore sucks as of now...but the govt has realised the necessity in improving this. Chennai is better...Hyderabad is better...Gurgaon, Chandigarh are superb. Ofcourse, you can't expect 4 way lanes for each side!

I think you are just giving some lame reasons without knowing (or bothering to know) the improvements that are happening here.

IF you want India to become US, it never will. It is not because it can't. It is because, it is *NOT* US.

Anonymous said...

I am Anonymous 1

Yes... But while we were here some rooting has happened and hence it will take a little bit of time to uproot and go back.

But it is definitely possible. I have decided a date and come that date I return; whatever my bank balance, whatever everything else is.

Inertia is a curse! :-)

Anonymous said...

"Inertia is a curse!" - Well said "Anaon-1" :-)

Sushil said...

This was a very interesting read. I came here from the Chennai Central blog. As Anand commented most people just seem to be good at making excuses for not planning a move back home if they are inclined towards it. I agree some professions have not been promoted/developed as much as IT/ITES but there are always opportunities here for the taking. I came back home to Chennai after 6 years in the USA. It was not a tough decision for me as I had wanted/planned to come back. It always helps to plan out in advance and then stick to the plan. Doing the x=x+1 syndrome (I will go back next year) is of no use. I have now completed a whole year back in India and have enjoyed avery minute of it. Being with close family and living in your country is a world of joy. A friend from the USA coming to visit asked me if there was anything from the USA I needed/missed. I am very happy and overjoyed to be able to truly say that there is nothing I cannot get in India :-) and there is nothing I miss from the USA.

Ram Viswanathan said...

Shiva

Came to your site thru Chennai Central..

Good post..

There is no ONE right answer for this question. We didn't agonize this much when we left our shores originally.. did we?

We can always find reasons (spin) for whatever decision we make (or don't make). But the important question that each of us will have to answer ourselves is "Are we comfortable with the decision? Can I live with that?"

Anonymous said...

Shiva,

i dont think there is anything called a gud time or a bad time to return.

if you think you can contribute more to yourself, and to India by being in US be there, or if you feel you can contribute more by coming back, come back.

Hari

Sriks said...

Prodigal sons and daughters can return home where ever he/she wants, but if you say I will go home only during boom hey are u not selfish?,
Seriously being 10 years here, the reason I came here is totally different from why I am staying here now. Many things have changed in my life. Fire that I had in me when I was 25 is totally different at 35… there is also an element of insecurity, talent found Indian software sector is quite phenomenal, I really do not know if I could match them. Many might fail to see the competition factor. Today with different set of goals in life [thanks to my age], I would want to play my cards really safe - unless other wise I really need to make a drastic change in my route, - ship will be on its course and will never bother about the wind direction , which is now towards the east.
I am insecure that it might change direction again. I cannot afford it as of now. My point is - If I want to go to India , I will just go – the so called boom will not be the reason.

BZ said...

Hi ShivaKumar,
First time here.

My answer is "Yes! Lets go back!" :)

I can understand coming to the US for education but not settling here with a citizenship.

And going back to India is a good choice, _not_ because India is flourishing or developing or anything, but just because it is 'home'.

Shiva said...

thanks Sushil, Ram, Hari, Sriks, Saranya..Welcome to my blog..

I will respond to all your comments with a followup blog shortly :)