Friday, July 01, 2005

mismatches made in heaven

Hey..

My friend started laughing now.

It had started as a serious discussion. As we kept on talking, he started to twitch his lip & nose, slowly smiled, grinned, laughed and finally started rolling with laughter. I was not sure whether I should share his happiness because the fun had originated from my love-life.

"I think I like this girl" - this is what I told him. It was a typical Saturday post midnight talk. We had been to a movie, came back to find that there was a power outage and were hanging out in the mottai madi of the hostel. "I think about her all the time machan", I said. My friend was genuinely interested. "Really", he said, "tell me more".

He seemed interested and I went on and on about her, how we met, how we clicked. "I thought you two were just friends" - my friend interjected in between the story. I told him how much I was in love with this girl. And he said seriously "you need to let her know your feelings".

That was the problem. I needed his advice on this because I was sure that neither our families nor the society would approve of our jodi. "There are certain key differences", I explained. He narrowed his brows.

Well, for starters she was older than me, not much - 'just' by 14 months - "Hmm..."
She was 2 inches taller than me. - "Oh..o.."
She hated sports. She is a non-vegetarian. - "uh..huh" - this is when he started smiling.
She was from a different religion - "ahh, I see.."
She was from the North. - "anything more", he said and started laughing

My list was just half complete. There were other stuff like how much she preferred only carnatic music or she hates computers or the fact that she had just leant eleven words in Tamil, most of which cant be used in public anyway.

"Whatever made you think she is the one for you ? "

Honestly I didnt know. Was it her smile, the care she showered, the affection she displayed, the cheer she showed in my successes..... or whom am I kidding - was it just physical ? I didnt know if my feelings were right, but they definitely felt right when I was around her.

Did I hate myself so much that I liked someone who was completely my opposite ?

This didnt seem like a match made in heaven. It didnt seem like a match made anywhere for that matter. But then here I was, madly in love with the girl knowing for sure that my feelings for her would never be accepted by the society.

But that is what probably love is all about. Unconditional,undemanding, unexpected.....

Don't surrender 'cause you can win
In this thing called love
When you want it the most, there's no easy way out
When you're ready to go and your heart's left in doubt
Don't give up on your faith
Love comes to those who believe it
And that's the way it is


Chao...

5 comments:

eyeStreet times said...

Siva....whats going on ? Apart from Celine Dion's...I am not sure what you are getting at. Are you leading us towards something ???

Shiva said...

every posy is not intended to "lead" to something.. So why dont you just put behind "what's-the-reason behind-this-post" and just read it ?

neverthless, I thought the blog was slightly too obvious, but thankfully looks like it isnt ;)

Krish said...

Thanks for the comment on mine. If you are in the DC area, maybe you can come for the planned Blogger meet this Saturday. People have left comments at Arvind's blog regarding this.

Anonymous said...

Well, to me the blog isn't that obvious :-(

Arvind Srinivasan said...

Siva,

Independence day announcements :-) ? about loss of independence ?